By , on April 15, 2009

Rock & Roll Manhattan Map


Erected in 1914, Irving Plaza was both a vaudeville theater and a meeting place for labor unions and political groups. The Polish Army Veterans Association of America purchased the building in 1948 and named it “Dom Weterana” or “Home of the Veteran.” The success of independently produced shows like “New Wave Vaudeville” in 1978 led brothers Miles and Ian Copeland to mount shows with Iggy Pop, the Police, the Cramps, and Siouxsie & the Banshees, all in 1979. During the Eighties, Chris Williamson’s company Rock Hotel produced many hardcore punk and metal gigs at the 1,000-capacity venue.

The increasingly rundown four-story building was revived in 1990 when new lease¬holder Andrew Rasiej brought in a long-running musical, Song of Singapore. In 1991, Rasiej and soon-to-be-partner Bill Brusca began promoting concerts at Irving including appearances by the Dave Matthews Band, U2, and Eric Clapton. In 1997, Irving Plaza Concerts Inc. was sold to veteran New York promoter Ron Delsener. In 2007, Rasiej sold the business once again, this time to Live Nation, and the venue was renamed “The Fillmore New York at Irving Plaza.” Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, and Prince all have played Irving Plaza; so have Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, White Stripes, Wu-Tang Clan, Jewel, Sheryl Crow, the Cure, and Oasis.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.